TTEN Newsl.etter of the Pacific Grove Heritage Society

Save this PDF as:
 WORD  PNG  TXT  JPG

Size: px
Start display at page:

Download "TTEN Newsl.etter of the Pacific Grove Heritage Society"

Transcription

1 OARD AND TTEN Newsl.etter of the Pacific Grove Heritage Society June I July 1998 THE Courtesy of Pat Hathaway California Views. 192s photo of one of the last Chautauqua meetings held in Pacific Grove. The Chautauqua is one of the events in the Pacific Grove Timeline featured in this issue of the Board and Batten. The timeline was compiled by Adam Weiland (with a little help from his friends) and consists of 19 events that he considers important and/or interesting in the history of Pacific Grove, with emphasis on the early history. Please drop him a note if you feel something important was omitted. Additions to the timeline will be printed in a future issue. Calendar of Events Note: 7he Steinbeckian Croquet Tournament has been canceled.for October 3 October4 December8 Butterfly Parade Victorian Home Tour Christmas At The Inns

2 PACIFIC GROVE TIMELINE (Chronological list of events important in Pacific Grove) 1542 Juan Rodrigues Cabrillo discovers Monterey Bay and lands at what is now called Cabrillo Point in Pacific Grove. 162 Don Sebastian Vizcaino, a Spanish merchant, is believed to be the first white man to set foot upon Point Pinos. He named it "Point of the Pines" Point Pinos Lighthouse, illuminated by a whale oil lamp, started operating on February 1. Illuminated by kerosene in 188 and electricity in 1919, it is now the oldest continuously operating lighthouse on the West Coast Chinese settle in the area now occupied by Hopkins Marine Station and form their own "Chinatown" Lighthouse Road laid out and used for the transportation of supplies from Monterey to the Lighthouse First permanent house built in what is now Pacific Grove on land owned by David Jacks and lived in by Rev. Ross Bishop J.T. Peck meets with Rev. W.S. Ross in the pines of what is now Pacific Grove to inspect the location as possible site for a Christian seaside resort A group of Methodist men, mostly ministers, met in San Francisco on June 1 and founded the Pacific Grove Retreat Association to set up a Christian Seaside Resort and Camp Meeting ground for members and friends of the Methodist Episcopal Church The Pacific Grove Retreat Association acquires 1 acres of land from David Jacks to be used as the Retreat area for the nominal sum of $1. - essentially a gift St. John Cox Esq. Surveys the Retreat area, laying out the lots, and files his map On August 8, the first of the annual camp meetings (not Chautauqua) was held First bath house opens at Lover's Point Monarch butterflies first noticed stopping in Pacific Grove The first lots are sold by the Retreat Association to its members to build homes Robert Louis Stevenson takes a walk through Pacific Grove in October and writes about it in "The Old Capital" First Pacific Grove Chautauqua Literary and Scientific Circle Meeting held on June th Street built for Elihu Beard. The house is still owned by the Beard family. 188 First "Feast of Lanterns" held to mark the close of Chautauqua every year. 188 Eucalyptus trees on the north side of Lighthouse avenue started from seed brought from Australia by Bishop Taylor of the Methodist diocese. Some still remain in front of the Post Office. Tuttle P1wto cow1esy of Harrison Memorial Librwy This 191 photo depicts two items in our timeline. The Kent (formerly Mammoth) Stables ( ) decorated in honor of President McKinley's visit in

3 1881 Chautauqua Hall built to store tent covers and other items for the Pacific Improvement Company. Also used for the first indoor church services and the first indoor school sessions Pacific Grove Reservoir built by Chinese laborers James Stevinson had a smaller replica of his San Joaquin Valley home built at 129 Pacific Avenue. The Grove's first wedding was held here soon after for Mrs. Stevinson's sister First "Rules and Regulations" published by the Retreat Association on March Sinclair Harper becomes the first white child born in Pacific Grove on June On June 21 the Retreat Association, through David Jacks, sold the land upon which Pacific Grove was situated, to the Pacific Improvement Company th Street, still one of the most unusual homes in the Grove, is built for Everett Pomeroy The Pacific Improvement Company created the first and second additions to the Retreat and began selling lots to all comers, thereby creating a real estate boom in the town Mammoth Stable built across top of Grand between Laurel and Pine Carrie Lloyd teaches the first school classes in Pacific Grove in Chautauqua Hall on June Central built for Senator Benjamin Langford (aka Judge Langford). It is now the Gatehouse Bed and Breakfast Inn J. A. Pell opened first undertaking establishment in the Grove Central built for Margaret Tennant Pacific Grove Volunteer Fire Department organized on December 11 with Cypress Johnson as its first Chief Approximate year when "Judge" Langford, tired of walking to the office on Grand avenue for the gate key, used an axe to chop down the wagon gate at the Central avenue fence to Pacific Grove. It was not repaired and by 189 most of the fence around the Retreat was gone The Post Office is first established in Pacific Grove with John B. Norton as postmaster on May 4. Closes in November for lack of business The "Page cottage" is built at 14 Fountain. Now the Seven Gables B & B Inn Post Office is re-established on January 6 with R. G. Mitchell as postmaster The first boarding house opened up in Pacific Grove when J. F. Gosbey opened his home at 643 Lighthouse to summer boarders. The Centrella Cottage is built soon afterwards El Carmelo Hotel (later known as the Pacific Grove Hotel) opens for business on May 2 on the site of the present Holman building Charles Tuttle opens his drugstore on Lighthouse and remains open for over 5 years St. Mary's by the Sea Episcopal Church built at the corner of Central h and 12 t. '" 1888 Pacific Grove Police Department opens with only one person, Edward Rich, the marshal Dr. E. J. Snell becomes Pacific Grove's first established physician with an office on Forest Ave B.A. Eardley establishes the Pacific Grove Review as a real estate newspaper. Later in the year, the Gallanars convert it to a real, weekly newspaper the first in the Grove h Street built for William Lacy. Known as Ivy Terrace Hall and later as Green Gables Th St Meth g dist-episcopal Church and Assembly Hall is built on lighthouse between 17 & 18 streets. Appears in the 1959 movie "A Summer Place". It is demolished in The town of Pacific Grove incorporates as a city Dr. J. V. Horner becomes the Grove's first dentist The Southern Pacific Railroad begins passenger service to the Grove on June 29. Station opens on August 1. Service is discontinued on September 15, 1957 when the station went out of business R. L. Holman builds his grand home at 769 Lighthouse E. Cooke Smith establishes the first bank in Pacific Grove at the corner of Lighthouse & Forest. He built the current bank building there in Lavinia Goodyear Waterhouse of 13 th Street became the first person buried in El Carmelo Cemetery after she died at age 81. A 7 day old baby was buried on the site in 1889 before it was the cemetery First public school building opens on April 13 on Pine where Robert Down School is now The Monterey and Pacific Grove Street Railway began service on April 3 from the Del Monte Hotel through Monterey to Pacific Grove and back. Starting with horse drawn cars, the line was electrified in 193. Service discontinued in President Benjamin Harrison visits Pacific Grove on April 3 and rides on the first trip of the Monterey and Pacific Grove Street Railway Hopkins Seaside Lab built on Lover's Point and used until Dr. O.S. Trimmer built his large house at the corner of 6 th & Laurel. Still called "Trimmer Hill" Lighthouse is built for Dr. Andrew J. Hart and remains a familiar downtown landmark Pacific Grove School District formed Electric lights are turned on for the first time in the Grove on March The Brandt "mansion" is built at the corner of Lighthouse and 17 Mile drive. Referred to as Pinehurst, and later as the LaPorte "mansion". Featured in the 1959 movie "A Summer Place" The Christian Church is built at the comer of Central Avenue and Carmel Street President Theodore Roosevelt rode horseback from the Del Monte Hotel, through Pacific Grove and on through the 17 Mile Drive. 4 5

4 L c::: (/) 8 p co._ t :l (.) B..c::.. (/) > e ('j.b (.) :r::... Early view, grca 198, of three of the larger, older homes in Pacific Grove. From left to right, 15 5th Street (195). 225 Central (1884) and 14 5 Street (1888). The latter two are mentioned in the timeline. These three structures are currently the Blake & Jeane Thomson home, the Gatehouse Inn and the Green Gables Inn. 6 ('j.. 7

5 1898 First street light put up by Charles Tuck in front of his house at 52 Forest. Simultaneously he was City Marshall, Tax Collector, Truant Officer, Health Officer, Dog Catcher and Curfew Bell Ringer Pacific Grove Museum is organized on October 2 with Miss M.E.B. Norton as curator. 191 First brick building in Pacific Grove built for the Post Office at 28 Forest. It is still there. 191 President McKinley visits Pacific Grove and gives a speech from his carriage stopped on Lighthouse Avenue. After his speech, he visits the Methodist Church. 193 Women's Civic Improvement Club founded with Julia Platt as President. 194 The Japanese Tea Garden at Lover's Point opens to the public. Remained in business until Monterey County's first SPCA is established in Pacific Grove. 195 Pacific Grove Public Library established on Central Avenue on December Fire destroys Chinatown and the Chinese relocate elsewhere Central avenue built for noted artist William Adam as his home and studio. 198 The new building for the Pacific Grove Library opens to the public on May 12. It is renamed to the Carnegie Public Library. In 1938, it is renamed back to the Pacific Grove Public Library. 198 At the Mayflower Church, the first concert on the Monterey Peninsula's first pipe organ is given on June Mammoth Stables burn to the ground on February 19. Many horses die Ocean View Blvd built for John Pryor and still in his family. 191 Julia Platt builds her home at 15 Grand and names in Roserox. Now the Grand View Inn. 191 Mayflower Congregational Church built on site where original burned down 8 months earlier Pacific Grove High School, designed by William Weeks, built on Forest Ave. Now used as the Middle School City Hall completed at corner of Forest and Laurel and first meeting held on September Asilomar opens its doors for guests. Actually gets its name in Buildings designed by noted architect Julia Morgan The Lover's Point Dahlia Gardens won the gold medal for their horticultural display at the Panama-Pacific International Exposition in San Francisco Pacific Grove Chamber of Commerce officially incorporated with Ed "Casey'' Simpson as its first President on February The assets of the Pacific Improvement Company, including its unsold lots and undeveloped land in Pacific Grove, were taken over by the Del Monte Properties Company under S.F.B. Morse st Street, designed by Julia Morgan, is built for Lena Dinsmore First building erected for the newly renamed Hopkins Marine Station of Stanford University at Cabrillo Point Pacific Grove (formerly the El Carmelo) Hotel is dismantled for lack of business. The lumber is used to help build the Lodge at Pebble Beach Ed Ricketts opens his first Pacific Biological Laboratory at 165 Fountain. Building now gone Holman's Department store built on Lighthouse Avenue Grove Theater became the first theater built with a pipe organ on the Monterey Peninsula Chautauqua's final appearance in Pacific Grove on August City Manager form of government went into effect in Pacific Grove with John P. Pryor as mayor The original St. Angela's Catholic Church opened on May 31 under Fr. Kerfs at 8 tti & Central. 193 John Steinbeck and his new wife Carol Henning move into the Steinbeck family cottage at tti Street. They live there until 1936 when they move to Los Gatos Top two floors and an elevator added to Holman's Department Store building, bringing jobs and hope to Pacific Grove during the Depression Julia Platt uses an axe to chop down a locked gate and allow public access to Lover's Point Julia Platt, Ph.D., noted zoologist, is elected first female mayor of Pacific Grove at age Municipal Golf Course opens on July 9 and Mayor Platt hits the first ball New Museum building opens at the corner of Central & Forest on December T. A. Work's First National Bank of Pacific Grove opens for business, th anchoring the just completed Work Block on Lighthouse between Forest & Current Pacific Grove Post Office building opens on Lighthouse and is dedicated on October Pacific Grove passes an ordinance making it a misdemeanor to molest a butterfly and gains international attention John Steinbeck returns to Pacific Grove in February. He buys and moves into 425 Eardley. In September, he and Carol separate and he moves to New York City Council passes an ordinance naming the fuchsia as the "official" town flower. 195 Pacific Grove Youth Center dedicated by Bing Crosby on January The old Methodist-Episcopal Church on Lighthouse Avenue is demolished Residents vote to allow alcohol in Pacific Grove, no longer the last "dry town" in California Heritage Society of Pacific Grove founded. First plaque awarded to 225 Central in (Compiled by Adam W. Weiland of the Heritage Society of Pacific Grove ) 8 9

6 Down the Piney Path: News from Old Pacific Grove From the Pacific Grove Review: June - July by E. C. Davis + Buggies, harnesses, whips, etc. at T. A. Work's. + We hear of persons having one to three cows feeding upon the property of others. This would not be so bad if it were not that by these means they render the Grove so filthy that people cannot venture out on the streets for fear of being defiled. + Our hook and ladder boys practice every evening and the way the top of the ladder is gained would puzzle the old Harry. Pacific Grove does not propose to get left at the contest upon the 4 th proximo at Monterey. + A woman with a child desires a home: is willing to make herself useful. Apply at this office. + Look out for fires. Every year numerous fires occur on the glorious Fourth, boys and firecrackers being the cause. Have your hose ready and look sharply for danger. + A goodly bunch of gorgeous dahlias of 16 different colors were presented us by Mrs. Newton from her garden at 16 1h and Pine Avenue. + Mothers, fathers, where are your boys at night? Pacific Grove is on the eve of another "time" unless there be some examples made of the terrors who nightly carry on their work. You would be rather ashamed to find your son under arrest with a charge of burglary preferred against him, would you not? Be warned and save yourself the humiliation. + Our Grove fire boys won the first money, $75 in the hose race at Monterey on the Fourth. + Due to the national railway strike, Chautauqua is postponed one week. Daily steamers are put on between San Francisco and Monterey. + The ladies of the Grove gave a banquet last evening for our fire boys in honor of their victory in Monterey on the Fourth. + Stanley Gosbey proudly wears the gold medal he won at Monterey in the bicycle race on the Fourth. It's a beauty and the work of our local jeweler Edward B. Lewis. + The REVIEW returns thanks to Mrs. M for the generous remembrance of delicious ice cream the following morning after the church social. We confess a powerful weakness for ice cream and the possession of real true friends who indulge us, therein, bless 'em. + Marshall Rich's business is picking up. Wednesday he picked up three horses on the streets, and Thursday, one. + The abandoned infant at the Midwinter Fair in San Francisco has proven to be the one born here March 26 1h. 1 Ken Hinshaw Attends Preservation Conference In early May I attended the California Preservation Foundation Conference in Berkley. I've never attended anything but local preservation meetings and this was a real eye opener for me. Also in attendance were two others from the Historic Resources Committee and three staff members of the Planning Department. The headquarters of the conference was at the beautiful Berkley Women's City Club designed by Julia Morgan. The sessions reminded me of the best lectures during my college years. Alice Carey, a preservation architect, talked about her upcoming project returning the eleven Julia Morgan buildings at Asilomar to their original pristine state. Tours of Berkley Hills Craftsman style homes were offered. A high point for me was a breathtaking lecture on the history and development of the Arts and Crafts movement by Professor Mitchell Schwarzer of the California College of Arts and Crafts. If you would like to attend ne * year's conference, write the California Preservation Foundation at Street, suite 11 in Oakland, CA Scholarship Awarded The Pacific Grove Heritage Society is pleased to announce the selection of Rosie Marquart as the recipient of its Philoma Goldsworthy Scholarship. The $6 cash scholarship is awarded annually to a graduating high school senior who has maintained an outstanding record in academic achievement and whose personal interests or career goals are consistent with the Heritage Society's objectives regarding the preservation of Pacific Grove's cultural heritage. Rosie was graduated from P.G. High School in June with a 3.5 grade point average. She has been involved in the Feast of Lanterns and was twice selected as a Princess of the Royal Court. This past year she was selected as Queen Topaz. She plans to continue her education at the University of California at Santa Cruz. Share The Heritage With A Friend Annual Family Membership $1. Members receive Tiie Boord and Batten newsletter of the Heritage Society of Pacific Grove. Name: Address: City: State: Zip: Phone: $ Please return to The Pacific Grove Heritage Society Box 17 : Pacific Grove, CA 9395 : Telephone

7 P.OBox 17 Pacific Grove, CA 9395 Nonprofit Org. U.S. POSTAGE PAID Permit No. 3 Pacific Grove, CA 9395 Board of Directors President: Vice-President: Secretary: Treasurer: Marilyn Arioto Paul Finnegan Ken Hinshaw Rosemary Houser Lisa Nickerson Beverly Wallace Christie Martine Esther Trosow Carrol Patterson Don Beals Pam Cain Bobbie Hall Pete Houser Elizabeth Moore Muriel Pyburn Adam Weiland The Board and Batten Staff Adam Weiland Colin Gough Typesetting courtesy of VISCOM The Barn Laurel & 17th (48) Hours Sat. 1-4 p.m. /old ind 1Y1fit nklrdr(by "Turning Up the Volume on Volunteeriam Internet: Toll FmCi'Phone: L!NKS